Gin and bear it

6.18.2012

Visiting a distillery with two tired and irritable children is tempting fate. Both my little people had throwdowns at Bathurst's Stone Pine Distillery last Friday (Tom had issues with leaving the mini ride-on tractor behind and Alice was reluctant to leave George the cat).  I admit I stood in that lovely room, next to the big shiny still and took some deep breaths hoping to inhale some alcohol and find inner calm. 

Stone Pine Distillery is about five minutes from Bathurst's bustling CBD and there you will find Ian and Bev Glen. Both expat Scots they established the distillery four years ago and now make a range of spirits and liqueurs. The gin is my favourite; in addition to the requisite juniper berries, Ian and Bev also use (mostly) locally sourced native aromatics (finger line, lemon myrtle, wattle seed, river mint and iron bark) to make this dry gin and it's really good. I should know. I tried it with some tonic, ice and lemon at 7pm on the dot that night. And again at 7.15pm.


As well as the classic gin and tonic, we also tried Ian's gin in this beautiful trifle. It's one of the easiest desserts you could imagine and really does showcase the spirit's flavours quite well. Just a warning though; don't have seconds if you plan on driving home.


Gin and ruby red grapefruit 'trifle'

Serves 4

4 slices madiera cake (store bought or home made - here's my recipe)
6 tbsp Stone Pine Gin
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp almonds
1 ruby red grapefruit, segmented

Slice the cake and place it on a nice platter. Sprinkle over the gin and let sit for a little while. Whip the cream until nice and floppy. Pour the sugar into a saucepan over medium high heat. Line a tray with baking paper and scatter it with the almonds. Swirl the sugar around until it melts and turns into a lovely golden syrup. Once all the sugar is dissolved pour over the almonds, swirling until you have a large disc of toffee. Let set and then break into shards. Spoon the cream over your cake, top with the grapefruit segments and almond toffee and serve.

8 comments:

  1. Your comments about 'inhaling some alcohol and finding inner calm' made me giggle!
    The trifle looks like delicious goodness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello thank you so much for your comments and congratulations on your first post over at Gypsy Lou! I really look forward to following your lovely blog. Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophie, I was happy to see Local is Lovely mentioned in Epicure The Age yesterday, the last line of the editorial reading, 'prepare to be charmed'. Sums your blog up perfectly to me. If you didn't see it let me know and I will email you the 'review'. Best, Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nikki - I was so thrilled to get a mention there! My brother lives in Melbourne so is posting a copy up to me I hope!

      Sophie

      Delete
  4. hi there, i just found you via the epicure, i love a blog with gumboots and recipes !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula - thanks so much for your comments. It's very cold and muddy here at the moment so we are all about the gumboots! Thanks again, Sophie

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yep and they were doozies! Hope you are feeling all better Bron, Sophx

      Delete

local is lovely All rights reserved
Design + Development by Ana Degenaar